Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Exprimental Gameplay : Strip the Forest Bare


Strip the Forest Bare is a little game where you play Thiery a lumberjack. Thiery likes to make money by cutting down trees, but the bears are not happy about it and will try to stop him. In other words you play a lumberjack, in order to make money you have to avoid bears and cut trees down.

You can download the game here.



This game is an entry to the Experimental Gameplay Project for the month of august, the theme was "Bare Minimum". I tried to think about something with pixels and 8-bit sounds to keep the game as minimum as possible. In the mean time I could not stop thinking about the kid poem's :

Fuzzy Wuzzy
Was a Bear
Fuzzy Wuzzy
Had no Hair...

So I decided to include bears in my game cause of the rhyme, I came up with a game where the player is making money by destroying the bears' home. I am not really an environmental activist, I thought that the metaphor of destroying someone's home to make money was just something that could make people think, myself included. So in regards to the minimum of the theme, I tried to keep all the controls as minimum as possible; walking and cutting. The same applied to the bears' AI, when you are close enough they will chase you otherwise they wander around. As for the bare part of the theme well, try to strip the forest bare.

Thanks Hades for the music.

I hope you enjoy the game as I enjoy making it.

1 comment:

  1. Yay I remember that poem from when I was a kid. The smooth chopping action of this game makes it a fun pick me up - until you get to the oh-so-sad ending screen. Makes you think.

    ReplyDelete